at the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum
This Just in!
Recent Additions to the Permanent Collection
The Foundation’s furniture collection includes both American and British pieces made between 1680 and 1830 as well as American folk art up to the present day. The American furniture collection encompasses almost the entire East Coast from New England to Georgia and reaches as far west as Tennessee and Louisiana. The collection continues to grow as relevant objects come to light. This Just In takes a look at some of the most recent additions to the furniture collection including pieces from various counties in Virginia, and objects from Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina and elsewhere. These objects are being shown at the museum for the first time.
Ongoing exhibition in the Elizabeth Ridgely and Miodrag Blagojevich Gallery
Faith, Community and Change:
The Early History of Bruton Parish Church
2015 marks the 300th anniversary of the church building which is still a landmark in the Williamsburg townscape. The exhibition will explore the first hundred years of the church's history and its important role in the community. On view will be the 18th-century church silver as well as prayer books and register books. Also included will be the original weathervane.
Through November 29, 2015
The World Made Small
Dollhouses are some of the most popular miniature versions of the real world. On view in the Wilkinson Gallery is a museum favorite — the enormous Long island Dollhouse made around 1900 and fully furnished. The earliest dollhouse in the exhibit was made in 1820 for twin girls. Other houses include a house made in the Chesapeake around 1835 and a colonial revival house made around 1940. While young girls played house, what about the young boys? Wonderful German-made playsets from the 19th century will be featured including a fort, a soldiers' campsite and a farm.
Through January 3, 2017 in the Rachel Elisabeth and Joshua Ryan Wilkinson Gallery
Birds, Bugs and Blooms:
Observing the Natural World in the 18th Century
Explore the growth of interest in natural history during the 18th century through period illustrations. With the settlement of the New World, many Englishmen and colonists were fascinated by the plants and animals that were native to the region. These gentlemen on both sides of the Atlantic exchanged specimens and ideas and sponsored the avid collecting and documenting of birds, bugs and plants. Gardens, carefully planned and laid out, furthered the studies and enjoyment both privately and publically. Beautiful watercolors, hand-colored prints and period books illustrate this story.
Through January 2, 2017 in the Shirley H. and Richard D. Roberts Gallery
China of the Most Fashionable Sort:
Chinese Export Porcelain in Colonial America
Chinese export porcelain played an important role in the lives of 18th-century colonists. It was the most desirable of the ceramic bodies, and possessing it indicated wealth and status. This exhibit illustrates the wide variety of Chinese porcelain that was available in colonial America with a particular focus on pieces with histories in Virginia. Objects recovered from archaeological excavations are also featured.
Ongoing exhibition in the June Weldon Focus Room
A Rich and Varied Culture:
The Material World of the Early South
This wide-ranging new exhibition celebrates the remarkable arts and antiques that were created in or imported to the Chesapeake, the Carolina Low Country, and Southern Backcountry. Created in conjunction with two dozen partner institutions and private collectors, the exhibition highlights the aesthetic diversity brought to the region by the varied cultures and ethnic groups that ultimately defined a unique, early southern style.
The exhibition was made possible by Carolyn and Michael McNamara.
Ongoing exhibition in the Nancy N. and Colin G. Campbell Gallery and the Mary Turner Gilliland and Clinton R. Gilliland Gallery
Keyboard Instruments for America, 1700–1830
This exhibition explores the evolution of spinets, harpsichords and pianos in the 18th and early 19th centuries. Featuring more than 25 instruments including spinets, harpsichords, and pianos, ranging in date from 1700 to 1830, the instruments are drawn from Colonial Williamsburg’s significant collection of English keyboards. Many have never before been exhibited. Keyboard instruments were an integral part of the cultural milieu of Virginia’s colonial and post-colonial period. The second known public performance on a piano in America took place at the Raleigh Tavern. The exhibit explores the differences in the various types of keyboards as well as the evolution of the instrument over time. Sound sticks allow you to listen to many of the instruments and two reproductions are included so that they can be played for visitors, for what is an instrument without its sound? Models of detailed aspects of the keyboard allow visitors further insight into the workings of the instruments.
Ongoing exhibition in the Iris and Mark Coblitz Gallery and the Levanti Family Gallery
Richard Newsham’s Fire Engine
Richard Newsham’s Fire Engine explores fire and fire fighting in the 18th century with the display of an original fire engine built in the mid-18th century. Williamsburg, described as "our Wooden city" in 1721, remained relatively safe until 1747 when the Capitol burned. The new Capitol was threatened in 1754. Wisely, the colony decided to invest in a proper fire engine, and the next month the Council directed "That the Receiver General send to London for a Fire Engine and Four Dozen of Leatheren Buckets for the use of the Capitol." Initially granted a patent on December 26, 1721, Richard Newsham’s “new water engine for quenching and extinguishing fires” became the clear choice for anyone in England or America who was serious about combating the flames. So effective were Newsham’s engines that some were used for more than a century. The original engine is on view for the first time.
This exhibition was made possible by a grant from the Ambrose and Ida Frederickson Foundation.
Rebuilding Charlton’s Coffeehouse
Colonial Williamsburg’s reconstruction of Charlton’s Coffeehouse is the first ground-up reconstruction along Duke of Gloucester Street in several decades. It involved the work of every department and trade in the Foundation. The exhibition explores how such a building could be so accurately constructed and furnished when seemingly very little was left of the original structure. It will use archaeological, architectural, archival, decorative arts and trades components to show visitors the process of rebuilding the history, structure, and interiors of the coffeehouse. Through video, graphics, original objects, and touchable reproductions, visitors learn firsthand what it took to bring the project to completion.
American Furniture: From Virginia to Vermont
This exhibition in the Elizabeth Ridgely and Miodrag Blagojevich Gallery highlights pieces from three regions: Eastern Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New England. While early furniture forms and styles from these areas were similar from the late 17th through the early 19th centuries, the interpretation and the popularity of designs varied due to differences in local economies, trade settlement patterns, and the religious and cultural backgrounds of the inhabitants.
Lock, Stock, and Barrel
This exhibition is an outstanding display of military and civilian weapons exploring muzzle-loading firearms, ignition systems, and the evolution of the standing British infantry musket before 1800.
Through February 2017
Revolution in Taste
This exhibition dazzles with rich and colorful choices in table and tea wares available to 18th-century British and American consumers. Expanding world trade and strengthening industry put a teapot on every table — until tea became a symbol of protest in the American Revolution.
Ongoing exhibition in the Henry H. Weldon Gallery